Ængstrom School for Superchildren
Dr. Avery Highgrave III, Esquire.
doctor of vitalurgy, cutting edge theoligical researcher, aspiring noble reformer.
- Skin Tone: Very pale, burns easily.
- Hair: Extremely blond, fine and wispy.
- Eyes: Pale grey, trending to white.
- Age: 28
- He/Her/They/It: He
- Where do you come from? The isolated Albish county of the Isle of Highgrave.
- What is the one thing you couldn’t live without? My newborn god, Charles-Without-End and the journal in which I am chronicling his creation.
- What do you spend most of your days doing? Carrying out and recording medical and magical experiments, increasing my understanding of the subtle science of life and death.
- Where do you spend your days? In my ‘lab’ down in the hold.
- What do you do for fun? I consider my work to be entertainment enough, but I do enjoy the occasional
- Who do you love most? The thrill of discovery and the joy of solving a medical/magical puzzle.
- What are you scared of? Failure. Disappointing my family and letting them come to ruin.
- Who do you dislike most? My sister.
- If you could have anything in the whole world what would it be? The opportunity to study without having to worry about what my sister would do if she wasn’t kept in check.
- What do you like about yourself? I can usually think my way through a problem, if I take enough time. And I don’t give up.
- What would other people say you are good at? Medicine and magic.
- What do you want to change about yourself? I would make myself more decisive.
- What is your favorite book/story/artist? I have a particular fondness for the travelogues of old expolorers.
- What is your favorite food? Spiced herring.
- Do you have a pet? I had a cat, but my sister killed it and fed it to Victor-Without-Limits.
- If your house was burning down, what would you take with you? My god.
- You’ve got that. Now what non living thing would you take with you from the house? My notebook.
Biography: Avery Highgrave III, Esquite is the scion of an ancient and noble house, whose respected pedigree and long stewardship of their lands have granted them the leisure to push the boundaries of medical into directions their less esoteric neighbors term blasphemous. Through diligent study of the physical body, the secret family science has unlocked the secrets of the spectral body and allowed unparalleled control over both.
Though remote, their eponymous Isle is prosperous and well defended; the fields are worked by the cast off husks of the dead and ancestral ghosts patrol the beaches. Disease is unknown in the villages and shepard’s huts that dot the windswept moors, and the people of the isle tell tales of how their masters can mend crippling wounds in mere hours.
Not content with mere mastery over life and death, the Counts of Highgrave have, since time immemorial, sought to bend their knowledge of the anatomy of both the body and the soul to create artificial creatures capable of acting directly on reality. Avery is the most recent member of the lineage to perform the complex and dangerous rituals necessary to start welding the disposed flesh and ichor of ghosts together into a more convenient form in order to fuel his procedures: Charles-Without-End, an embryonic god feed on blood and angry spirits.
Unfortunately, Avery was not the first of his generation to complete the First Miracle. His sister Victoria, a child prodigy with predispositions towards ruthlessness that can at times verge on the sadistic, created Victor-Without-Limits at the age of 14. Beating her brother’s success by nearly two full years, she was appointed as their aging grandfather’s heir and set about building a broad power base. Fearful of the irresponsibility of her methods, Avery galvanized his own studies in order to surpass his sister before Count Emeritus Highgrave, old beyond the reckoning of foreigners, merges with Ignacius-Without-Boundries and join the Counts of old in the Hall of Ancestors.
His people need him, his god is hungry, and the ocean is vast. Avery and Charles-Without-End have a long road ahead of them.